Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Rain

This morning I headed down to the hives to see what was happening. It was raining quite heavily so I knew the bees wouldn't be flying. All was quiet down there. The bees in 'Flora' were busy housekeeping while there was bad weather and were cleaning out bits of wax and a dead bee. Hive 2 (still to be named...hmmmm what to name it????) was just quiet....I didn't lift the lid or anything as I didn't want to chill it. I just left them be. Maybe I'll give them some more syrup tonight if the rain keeps up. 'Flora' isn't taking much syrup now that there is pollen around but if it rains for several days they won't be able to get out anyway....but then maybe they will focus on comb building and getting the Queen laying...

I finished reading the novel 'The Secret Life of Bees' today. Wonderful novel! One part puzzled me though - and that was near the end, when August ordered a new Queen from a Queen supplier. The thing is, August is a beekeeper with HUNDREDS of hives and in her position, would have easily been able to requeen one single hive from one of the other hives sooooo easily! There would have been no need to buy a Queen from a supplier! Or the hive itself would have requeened itself....it puzzled me.

8 comments:

Tanya said...

I think you should name your other hive "Spaz" ;)

D said...

The first thing that came to mind for the other name is Fauna. I am sure Flora and Fauna are the fairies names in Sleeping Beauty (along with Maryweather).

D said...

I just looked up the meaning of Fauna and it seemed fitting to me.

Fauna is all of the animal life of any particular region or time. The corresponding term for plants is flora.

Zoologists and paleontologists use fauna to refer to a typical collection of animals found in a specific time or place, e.g. the "Sonoran Desert fauna" or the "Burgess shale fauna".

Paleontologists sometimes refer to a sequence of faunal stages, which is a series of rocks all containing similar fossils.

The name comes from Fauna, a Roman fertility and earth goddess, the Roman god Faunus, and the related forest spirits called Fauns.

Jane said...

Lol Danica you know Fauna kept coming to my mind too but I had know idea they were names of fairies from Sleeping Beauty - I just knew them as the biological terms from nature! But I think you've sold the name to me now! So yes - Fauna it is!!!

I think when I get to the scrapbook store I will look for stickers of bugs and creatures and animals ana maybe some garden fairies to add in there and decorate up a Super for my new hive :)

Thank you!

So my hives have names

Flora and Fauna!

Hmmmm so next year I will have four hives. Flora, Fauna......and.....

D said...

Well not that I am solely responsible for the idea but I am happy to hear you named it that. I really lack creativity so I am glad to think I helped a little. Though I am pretty confident in my Disney knowledge I did have to double check to make sure the fairies names were accurate and I was right. Even more fitting again...the fairy Fauna is the quiet one of the three and somewhat of the peacekeeper.

Cori said...

Might I suggest the name Cori ;)

John said...

7 blogs!???
Man, I have a hard time just keeping up with my one!
I like your blog here!..Good bee pictures! You must know about photography( In your email address, I noticed)
I kinda struggle working on my blog..Sometimes i cant get anything to work right while building a new post and sometimes it just falls right in place.
British, 'eh? I was born in England! Near Cirencester.
Ok,...again, nice blog!

your friend,
john

John said...

7 blogs!???
Man, I have a hard time just keeping up with my one!
I like your blog here!..Good bee pictures! You must know about photography( In your email address, I noticed)
I kinda struggle working on my blog..Sometimes i cant get anything to work right while building a new post and sometimes it just falls right in place.
British, 'eh? I was born in England! Near Cirencester.
Ok,...again, nice blog!

your friend,
john